Hello and Welcome!
Green Martinstown is an initiative from residents for residents
So if you have any relevant news, articles or links to share please email them to: [email protected] and we can add them to the website.
Dorset Council declared a Climate and Ecological Emergency last year. Now Winterbourne St Martin (Martinstown) Parish Council have also declared a Climate and Ecological Emergency! We hope to work in conjunction with our Parish Council on various projects.
"John Kerry, Biden's special envoy on climate, tells the oil and gas sector that he wants to work together on plans to reduce emissions to meet global goals." Joseph Markman, HartEnergy.com
Green Martinstown Group Aims and Guidelines
Here are some simple guidelines to help us achieve our aims in a peaceful and respectful manner.
• Our aim is to help Martinstown become more sustainable - leading to carbon neutrality; recognising that this will take however long it takes
• Green Martinstown is non-political
• We are a non-confrontational group, every voice should be heard and respected
• We welcome all Martinstown residents to join in and support our aims
• We recognise human activity is contributing to major climate change but we do not apportion blame or point the finger at anyone – rather, we are and have all been party to taking from 'nature' (as if nature is different from ourselves) with little thought to the consequences. Re-assessing our relationship to nature is crucial to genuine sustainability
• We do not focus on the threats of climate change, more on the benefits of taking action
xxx Times and dates for upcoming Group Meetings can be found under 'Events' xxx
Ashton Hayes in Cheshire is a village just a little bigger than Martinstown with a population of just over 1000 (Martinstown has approximately 850) In January 2006 they decided to try to make their village the first carbon neutral village in England.
Among many other benefits, they now have an array of community owned solar panels supplying the village with electricity, a pool of electric cars for villagers to use and much much more. Here is a link to their website, a mine of useful information. http://www.goingcarbonneutral.co.uk/
We are not alone!
Across Dorset there are many different groups working towards a better world and there is a new umbrella organisation, the Dorset Climate Action Network, to bring us all together and be a central hub of information, expertise and wisdom. Their strapline is 'Stronger Together!' What more need we say? Their website will be live soon but in the mean time you could have a look at:
Wiltshire Climate Alliance who have similar aims. https://www.wiltshireclimatealliance.org.uk/topicgroups
or Somerset Climate Action Network https://www.somersetcan.org.uk
Please get in touch with your own ideas about a green Martinstown:
Deborah and Andy Daw, Keith & Michaela Howat, David Milner, Jo Lacy Smith, Colin Tracy